With the launch of Tumblr’s new Dashboard design last week, now is the perfect time to get into Tumblr! Tumblr is essentially a blogging site, but a very different kind of blogging site. According to the Tumblr website:
Tumblr lets you effortlessly share anything. Post text, photos, quotes, links, music, and videos, from your browser, phone, desktop, email, or wherever you happen to be. You can customize everything, from colors, to your theme’s HTML.
It’s a great kind of fun site to post what you are doing, interested in and working on! The most shared items on Tumblr are quotes, videos and photos.
1. Social Integration - What you post automatically posts to Twitter and Facebook if you connect your sites! This makes it easy for followers and fans to see what you are posting on Tumblr and share and RT what you are posting.
2. Photo sharing – Share your art and what you are doing! Whether you are working on a new piece, painting around the office, hanging out with coworkers, etc, you can share photos of what you are doing or you can share your favorite photos!
3. Post videos – If you have a YouTube channel or want to simply post videos, you can copy the URL of the video you want to post and share it with the video button [seen above] and Tumblr will automatically embed the video in a new post! Very simple and easy to link to. An idea – do a video tour of your artwork, gallery, workspace or do interviews and post them to share on Tumblr!
4. Ask questions - Another cool thing, you can allow your customers/audience to ask questions or answer questions on your page! You can add a tab when you customize your theme to allow your audience members to ask you questions! In a new post, you can also ask questions, like Mashable’s Tumblr often does, so that people can answer any questions you have as well.
5. Share posts – Not only can you share videos, links, photos, etc, you can also share just text so you can write blog posts or just simple updates. Share what you are working on, a coming soon item, a new update, etc. via the text button.
6. Link to your website – With Tumblr, you can link to your website and other websites! Tumblr has the share button you can add to your website so that people can share your content on your website to their Tumblr. You can also link to other websites from your Tumblr by sharing links!
7. Customize your theme – Tumblr has hundreds of themes to choose from! You can customize the colors and sections for almost every theme and you can add quite a few different pages to your theme. If you have company or brand colors, it’s a great thing to keep your brand theme and colors consistent across all of your social media platforms.
8. Add multiple users – If you have multiple people working for you, like most companies, you can create a brand Tumblr page and add multiple users so everyone can add posts and updates. This is a good idea so everyone isn’t logged in under one user and it creates a more personal identity for your company.
There are so many other different ways to use Tumblr! Here are a few really good Tumblr pages to follow as examples:
Most Creative Tumblr – award from Tumblr.com
33 Tumblr Blogs You NEED to Follow via The Huffington Post
50 Inspirational Tumblrs for Creativity via Inspired Mag